The Future of Public Health
Thursday, August 27, 2015
Public health is evolving. Members of the Directors of Health Promotion and Education (DHPE) met in Dallas, Texas August 10-12 to discuss the future of public health at DHPE’s Annual Member Institute. Keynote speaker Dr. Eduardo Sanchez, American Heart Association’s Chief Medical Officer for Prevention, discussed the importance of public health and medical care integration in building a transformed health system and the new “triple aim” for the future integrated health system. Angela Dawson, Executive Director of the Ohio Commission on Minority Health discussed health equity data and policy development. Members learned about foundational capabilities from Dr. Glen Mays of the University of Kentucky’s College of Public Health. Members also shared updates from their state health agencies and discussed many topics including ways to promote health equity and improve community and clinical linkages.
On Tuesday, August 11, DHPE members celebrated the life of Brick Lancaster (d. July 25, 2015), distinguished public health educator and Past President of DHPE (1991-1992) and honored the following 2015 award winners for excellence in the field of health promotion and health education:
- David Satcher Award for Reducing Health Disparities - Adewale Troutman, MD, MPH
- Hod Ogden Award for Innovation in Health Communications - Thometta Cozart, MS, MPH, CPH, CHES
- State / Community Collaboration Award - City of El Paso’s Department of Public Health (TX), Accepted by Irene Ovalle, HIV Services Program Manager
- Emerging Leader Award - Kristen Hernandez, MPH
- Mary Bobbitt-Cooke Award for School Health Leadership - Trina Anglin, MD, PhD
- Health Promotion and Education Advocacy Award - Deanna Wathington, MD, MPH, FAAFP
Speakers’ presentations from the 2015 meeting are available for members to download, and the meeting was tweeted (#DHPEMtg2015).
Resources mentioned during keynote presentations:
In 2016, DHPE will celebrate its 70th Anniversary. We hope you will join us on our mission to build on principles and practices of health promotion and education, DHPE strengthens public health capacity in policy and in systems change to improve the health of all and achieve health equity.
For more information about DHPE membership, visit this page.